SubjectRe: DEVFS backward compatibility
Date
Steve Williams writes:
> acahalan@cs.uml.edu said:

>> The /etc/devlink.tab file is used by the devlinks program
>> to create these links.
>
> There are even more goings-on there, and my experience with
> writing Solaris drivers was painful. The devlinks tab is
> certainly there, but there are also some files that the
> kernel uses (and writes) that can get messed up and render
> a system unbootable.

Sure. It appears that the kernel "devfs" actually writes to UFS.
I'm not about to suggest that we do _exactly_ as Solaris does.

I do think that the config file syntax and paths are good to use.
Using "/devfs" instead of "/devices" is needlessly different.
Hopefully we don't need Linux-specific filenames and syntax.

BTW, I'd love to know why you found Solaris drivers painful.
I took a Solaris driver course, and they don't look too bad.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.133 / U:0.008 seconds]