    SubjectRe: Linux's future: //posix/ipc, //root and so on ?

    On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > AC> Millions of apps rely on // working.
    > >
    > > Are you sure ? Why ? Till there no warning we can not check it.
    >
    > Because everyone knows // is fine so everyone is really sloppy about
    > combining paths together.

    If there are will be warning such errors will be fixed eventually.

    > > POSIX IPC implementation needed finename, visible from userspace. If you
    >
    > POSIX IPC filespace doesnt have to be visible as the normal file
    > space if I remember correctly, thats a luxury add on that makes sense to do.

    May be.

    > > construct such name. With //ipc //ipc/bla-bla-bla will be ALWAYS
    > > //ipc/bla-bla-bla -- no matter what and when. The same goes for //proc and
    >
    > Which is a bug.

    No :-) It's a feature. Some things are going REAL ugly without such things.

    > > AC> mounting /ipc can be handled in startup space quite easily.
    > > Then we'll end up with kludges like devpts handling in glibc :-((
    >
    > Actually putting ipc under devfs or proc isnt too daft. However the only
    > case we need to deal with is 'where do I mount ipc if I mount it'. That is
    > policy so belongs in user space.
    >
    > As it stands now if you forget to mount /proc odd things occur. It hasnt killed
    > anyone despite predictions that /proc being a real fs would cause doom gloom
    > and the end of the world made several years ago 8)

    It's not killed anyone but it PRODUCED lots and lots of otherwise unneeded
    kludges.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:3.740 / U:0.008 seconds]