    SubjectRe: Linux's future: //posix/ipc, //root and so on ?
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: "Khimenko Victor" <>
    In newsgroup:
    > I've just reread Linus's notes about IPC filesystem and to me idea about
    > metafiles "above" usual root looks great: //proc for /proc, //dev for devfs
    > and so on. No need to mount in every chroot environment, not need to manual
    > mount anything at all, easy change of root: just umount //root and mount
    > other thing there. And POSIX agrees that //root or //proc CAN be special
    > so all is correct. So just kernel changes are needed. Right ? Not quite:

    PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE don't use //. It causes HUGE amounts of trouble,
    since // frequently shows up due to (inappropriate) concatentation of
    paths, or is removed due to overly happy canonicalization.

    If you're going to use over-paths use /.. instead.

    However, I don't see any reason to use above-root paths at
    all... especially for stuff like the ipc filesystem. Just mount it as

    <> at work, <> in private!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.021 / U:6.984 seconds]