SubjectRe: Load linux...from linux?
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch wrote:

> All the paging stuff in LOBOS looks quite elegant, but I'm a little
> confused by how it does the final copy. Seems to me that you may burn
> holes into your kernel image this way ...

Well, if you can show me how, I'm willing to look. Haven't had a problem
here yet.

FWIW using LOBOS and ext3 I can chop my laptop reboot time from 90 seconds
or so to 43. We'd like to see it down to 5 seconds, much time is lost on
daemon startup and that initial mount of ext2 where it seems to like to do
a full-surface-scan of the disk :-)

> (My code maintains a list of "sacred" pages, including the code page,
> which it moves away when it has to overwrite their location. Basically
> the same procedure as in FiPaBoL (part of the linux-7k boot code), but
> less of a mind twister, because it's in C. Also, I leave all the setup
> to user space, so the kernel doesn't even know what it is booting.)

We've done about the same thing. I have a list of sacred places, but I put
them near the base of kernel virtual memory. One of the sacred pages is
the log buffer, so you no longer lose printk's when you reboot.

The other sacred stuff is of course a useable gdt, and the code page for
the 'bcopy kernel to 0x100000' code.

Details are in the paper at www.acl.lanl.gov/linuxbios

Comments and notes are welcome.

Thanks

ron
p.s. almost got linuxbios up. I'm getting screwed by the intel NVRAM
burner, which has rules about what it's willing to write to in nvram :-)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.180 / U:0.288 seconds]