    SubjectPPC should not use -fno-builtin (was Re: 2.3.47 imac build?)
    Paul Mackerras wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > > PPC arch compiles with -fno-builtin. Why is this? It seems sub-optimal
    > > and non-uniform, leading to little platform discrepancies like this...
    > Have you tried it without -fno-builtin? If you do, gcc grumbles about
    > various procedures not having the prototypes it expects, in particular
    > memset, memcpy, and memcmp. It's not obvious from the warning messages
    > you get exactly what prototype gcc is expecting.
    > In general there's no particular reason why a function named `memcpy' in
    > the kernel should have the same prototype (or even the same behaviour) as
    > a function named `memcpy' in a userland program, which is why we use
    > -fno-builtin.

    So... you are choosing to lose extremely valuable optimizations because
    of a few prototype warnings? This logic seems bogus to me... it also
    seems like a slap fix instead of fixing the real problem...

    Jakub commented to me not a couple weeks ago about how -fno-builtin was
    a bad idea. Maybe you could dig this message up in the linux-kernel

    Jeff Garzik | "Are you the police?"
    Building 1024 |
    MandrakeSoft, Inc. | "No ma'am. We're musicians."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.020 / U:30.652 seconds]