SubjectRe: 2.3.47 imac build?
Paul Mackerras <> said:

> In general there's no particular reason why a function named `memcpy' in
> the kernel should have the same prototype (or even the same behaviour) as
> a function named `memcpy' in a userland program, which is why we use
> -fno-builtin.

The C standard specifically includes memcpy, and standard functions
certainly are fair game for the compiler to implement as builtins by the
same standard.

And then there is the minor issue of programmers seeing "memcpy" and
expecting it to work as they are accustomed to. Not honoring that behaviour
is a excelent way of inviting all kind of nasty, hard to find bugs.
Horst von Brand
Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616