SubjectRe: permissions not honoured by /bin/pwd aka getcwd
Date
"A month of sundays ago Horst von Brand wrote:"
> "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@it.uc3m.es> said:
> > > ^^^^^^

> > I don't speak standard either. I imagine that "is detected" could
> > either mean
> >
> > 1) holds
> > 2) the code in question thinks it holds
>
> (1) is out, as "is detected" ==> "holds", but not the other way around. And
> there is also (3), "The code doesn't care, so it doesn't check" ==> Won't

That's (2).

> ever detect anything, and never complain (which is exactly what Linux does
> now).
>
> > Which? Assuming that the code can't think it holds when it doesn't and
> > still be posixly correct, then (2) is a subset of (1).

So (2) in this case is the empty subset. Fine.

> AFAIKS the language doesn't say explicitly it has to make up its mind
> (i.e., check always), so it can get away with not doing useless checks, or
> keeping track of chdir(2)'s and cache the result. Note that to be correct
> here, you would have to lock the whole path up to /, and the result is

To prevent changes while answering? The alternative is to not answer
while changes are still ocurring.

> useless anyway because I can just chmod(1) the directories just after the
> getcwd(2).

I can dimly imagine basing a file-system locking mechanism on chmod of
the parent dir.

> Again, is there any sensible reason to deny a process the knowledge of its
> CWD?

Vaguely, "security". Perms changes by root don't affect processes
already inside the barrier.

Peter.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.034 / U:0.120 seconds]