    SubjectRE: Linux/ix86 booting process and BIOS
    On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Strohm Thomas (FV/SLD) * wrote:

    > > You want the raw asm code for AWARD?
    > >
    > > I will give it to you........I found a copy on the web for all VIA
    > > mainboards, I still have problems working with that one.
    > Thanks, but I already found it on the web. But actually its not of much
    > use to me, because:
    > - strong dependence on the board/chipset.
    > - it's huge. 240k or so of lines of assembler code. And I'm much better
    > in reading C than ASM. And it's Intel asm, not AT&T...
    > - IMHO the code is a mess.

    If you find a BIOS it will be in 'C' and Intel asm. There's no way
    anybody would have used AT&T (chicken v.s. egg problem).

    I agree the code is a mess. Further:
    o There is no makefile.
    o There is no way to make the executable file that does something,
    possibly the final relocations and checksum (no source).
    o The 'ASM' sources will assemble. However, they don't link into
    a BIOS rom. Something is missing.

    However, I have been able to extract useful information about the generic
    floppy I/O and some other I/O. The interrupt 0x15 stuff seems to
    look reasonable. I think that I may be able to make a quick-boot BIOS
    in a few weeks (actually longer because of necessary work-breaks).

    I will keep everybody informed.

    Dick Johnson

    Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.025 / U:0.164 seconds]