SubjectRe: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Richard,
>
> We are looking at this from the M$GARBAGE side of the world. The
> problem is related to Microsoft's implementation of DHCP and whether or
> not you have a Microsoft DHCP or WINS server on your network,
[SNIPPED]

> "Richard B. Johnson" wrote:
> >
> > Alexy and other network gurus;
> >
> > When Linux network comes up during boot. I get a number of
> > "invalid ICMP error to a broadcast" messages from the M$GARBAGE
> > machines. These persist until I get to turn OFF the messages in
> > /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
> > echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses
> >
> > [Snipped `dmesg`]
> >

> > If a M$GARBAGE server is coming on-line at this time, probable
> > because they crash often, they report that my machine is using
> > their IP address so they fail to start their network. We have
> > so-called documentation, provided by so-called network experts
> > that "prove" that my machines are "hurting" the M$GARBAGE network.

[SNIPPED]

Okay. I execute `tcpdump -i eth0` from /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 as soon as eth0
is configured, but before the route is added. This sould capture
all the traffic until I get an attempt to log-in and kill the
task.

The attached file contains the tcpdump traffic. Enjoy. I just killed
a M$Server.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.085 / U:0.112 seconds]