SubjectKeyboard freeze problems
Date
I read in this week's issue of Kernel Traffic about keyboard freeze problems.

If this has been resolved, please delete this message immediately as it will
contain no useful information.

I wanted to report my experiences with keyboard freeze problems. Here was my
system:
ABIT-BM6 motherboard, Celeron 400 CPU, no overclock
128 megs SDRAM, 2.2.13 kernel compiled with gcc 2.7.x.
ps/2 mouse, gpm loads on bootup, X-windows configured for ps/2 mouse

Everything worked fine. Upgrading to 2.2.14 kernel compiled with gcc 2.95
(oops, sorry), I saw my keyboard non-functional on bootup about 75% of the
time. Note that it *was* functional in LILO.

My keyboard was connected through a thrustmaster F16FLCS joystick and also
there was a CH throttle in there somewhere and a color quickcam 2 stealing
power as well. Once I plugged the keyboard straight into the keyboard socket,
with nothing else in the way, the problem seemed to go away. HOWEVER, this
could simply be coincidence as I almost immediately upgraded to a dual Celeron
400/466 setup with an ABIT-BP6 motherboard. Recompiling an SMP 2.2.14 kernel
on this did NOT show the same problem. Same keyboard, it is hooked up straight
to the keyboard port, though.

Now, I have minor other problems (occasionally keyboard falls asleep and
occasionally cut-and-paste in KDE does not work) but this is NOT the same
problem and I suspect it's what was talked about regarding SMP problems.

I no longer have the old motherboard so I doubt I can help the debugging
process any but if you want more information about my setup, please email me
directly (I don't read the mailing list) and I would be happy to answer.

--
Christopher Thompson http://hypocrite.org/
The unexamined life is not worth living