    SubjectRe: Linux console driver maintainer?
    "Mike A. Harris" wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Guest section DW wrote:
    > >What was wrong about different sizes?
    > >One thing was that the kernel does not have detailed information
    > >about all video cards and video modes, so cannot easily change
    > >video modes, so an external program was needed.
    >
    > Ahhh... Right. I never thought of that... Well, hmm.. I guess
    > hooks could be put in place for a call to a userland tool/daemon
    > which could do the video mode change no? Or drivers that detail
    > various video modes for a given card somewhat like VESA text
    > modes could be put in-kernel...

    video mode changing --> see fbdev drivers in drivers/video

    > How about this: An in kernel video mode selection driver? It
    > could have a nice frontend API to talk to like VESA text
    > modes. You could poll the driver and get a list of available
    > modes on your current card, then walk the list, and choose an
    > available mode.

    Sometimes you cannot get the full list of available modes without
    specific knowledge of the graphics chipset.

    > This would require that the mode tables be in
    > kernel, as well as the font, however the fonts are allready in
    > kernel anyways.

    see drivers/video/modedb.c

    > To minimize the kernel bloat, userland tools
    > could "load" the kernel's internal video mode tables with known
    > modes for this card, and the needed fonts.

    Read Geert's paper(s) on fbdev :)

    http://linux-fbdev.org/ and off you go

    --
    Jeff Garzik |