SubjectRe: Linux/ix86 booting process and BIOS
Date
Followup to:  <Pine.LNX.3.95.1000222135548.8945A-100000@chaos.analogic.com>
By author: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> We don't. They plug in if/when you need to upgrade. The controllers
> come 'free' with the embedded chip-sets. Free, meaning you couldn't
> get rid of them if you wanted to.
>
> We find that the customer(s) will completely screw up the contents of
> NVRAM (their applications can write to it using our Linux driver). If they
> write to the wrong page, there goes everything necessary to boot. So,
> I have a "recovery-floppy" with assembly-language that re-writes NVRAM,
> then reboots using NVRAM. The user's parameters are lost, but who cares.
>
> We don't ever use DOS or anything as gross. The recovery-floppy doesn't
> start Linux or anything, it 'knows' where to get the NVRAM stuff as
> a physical offset and rewrites NVRAM, after which it reboots.

Again, this may be appropriate for your design. Your design isn't
everyone else's design.

-hpa