    SubjectRe: PPP is not SMP safe in 2.2.X (fix)

    I use PPP on an SMP box to get an xDSL link up. So PPP uses
    a pty instead of a serial port to write data to. A userland
    daemon -- pptp -- reads the pty, does some hdlc-to-gre conversion,
    and send the result to the xDSL modem directly.

    Everything goes fine on uni-processor. On SMP, pptp often gets
    confused when dealing with outgoing packets coming from masqueraded hosts
    (the SMP box acts as a firewall in my configuration).

    The data that pptp reads from the pty have bad FCS, and the xDSL link
    promptly crashes. I assume that this problem comes from a race condition
    in the ppp code or the masquerading code (but both ipchains et netfilter
    trigger the bug).

    Paul Mackerras's and Oleg's patches didn't solve the problem : I
    also tried to extend the fix in ldisc calling from serial.c to
    pty.c without more success.

    Suggestions to fix this behaviour are welcome :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.079 / U:3.692 seconds]