SubjectRe: Of removable devices
Hi,

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:18:52 +0300 (MSK), "Khimenko Victor"
<khim@sch57.msk.ru> said:

> No exactly. The ultimate goal is to give user ability to use floppy
> "as in Windows" and to have working filesystem if user doing everything
> right.

Why? I see no problem with the semantics, "you remove an active floppy,
all outstanding activity is lost." As long as the kernel doesn't defer
IO unnecessarily, that's just fine.

The old behaviour of some desktop OSes of tracking multiple "mounted"
floppies at once arose in the times when many machines had nothing
_except_ floppy drives, and good management of multiple concurrent
floppies was very important. That no longer applies.

ST> First of all, there is the problem of making sure that data is on the
ST> floppy as soon as possible so that it is safe to remove the disk.

> If you want to prompt user to put floppy back toy should not make sure that
> data is on the floppy as soon as possible.

But I don't. A removed floppy is _gone_.

ST> Secondly, there is the problem about what to do if the user removes
ST> the disk in the middle of IO.

> Exactly. And if THAT problem is solved then first problem should not
> be solved (you always can ask user to put floppy back).

But on a multi-user OS, it's simply not always possible to do that, and
I haven't seen a convincing reason why it is necessary.

--Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.086 / U:1.604 seconds]