    Subject[2.2.14] Vortex2 hangs system
    I'm running a VIA MVP3 mobo w/ k6-2/450, and I already read some web pages
    stating that the VIA MVP3 has problem with sound cards and AGP video
    cards. 2.2.14 just crashes the system anytime (even if I'm not using the
    sound card at all), but it always seem to happen when the video is
    updating, or when I'm using the netcard. (both the netcard and sound card
    are PCI).

    I know there's a drivers/pci/quirks.c file to fix some quirks on many
    mobos, but I'm just plainly not sure it fixes this hanging. The latest
    kernel, 2.3.47, seems to fix a lot more quirks, but not on the VIA MVP3

    I'm running the Aureal 1.0.5 drivers. It could be a problem with their
    drivers, but as I can see, I'm the first to report system hanging with
    those drivers, so I suspect the chipset of being the problem. My mobo is a
    FIC PA-2013 upgraded to the latest BIOS (but I haven't tested thoroughly
    with the new BIOS though; I haven't had the courage to reboot in linux
    after my system hanged three times in the same day) :) The Windows drivers
    seems to have a fix on that but still last time it hanged (it's
    normal!) while I was watching one of those cool A3D demos, but the sound
    continued to play (unlike linux where everything hanged solid).

    Does the 2.3.xx tree fixes this problem? The stock 1.0.5 drivers won't
    compile on 2.3.xx, though there's a patch made to work on this branch
    (haven't tested it yet).

    - JL

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.022 / U:22.524 seconds]