SubjectRe: Capabilities
In <20000221120431.A584@sb.t-online.de> Christoph Hellwig (chhellwig@gmx.net) wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 09:42:22PM -0300, Horst von Brand wrote:
>> Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz> said:
>> > ***sleipnir.valparaiso.cl on Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 08:38:58PM -0300

>> > Backwards compatibility.
>>
>> Doesn't cut it: It is _exactly_ what capabilities are designed to avoid.
>> You can get (some) backwards compatibility by setting capabilities
>> adequately.

> I thin we should do it so, but this is a userlevel featue.
> We should ad a rc file /etc/capabilitys with following content:

> capabyility:passwd:initialusers
> | |
> | | users, whiches login-shell inherits this cap form login
> | the passwd you need to get this cap ( like IRIX su -C <cap> )

>> > I said that different uid is where this gets ugly ;-). Take a look at
>> > elfcap.

> I think we should get elfcap into the kernel before 2.4. In 2.5 we can replace it with
> properly integration of capabilitys in the filesystem.

This is NOT how Linux development are going.
-- cut --
I prefer to have a known bug that will eventually get fixed than an ugly
solution that will hide it forever.

Linus
-- cut --

So elfcap SHOULD NOT go into the kernelbefore 2.4 :-) This is exactly "ugly
solution" mentioned above...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.124 / U:1.972 seconds]