    SubjectRe: Congrats to Richard Gooch

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:

    > Khimenko Victor writes:

    > > > For now, something like:
    > > > LOOKUP ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/part. MODLOAD <whatever>
    > > >
    > > > should work. I'll think about something more elegant.
    > > >
    > > I'm missing something or what ? How MODLOAD can help here ???
    > > ide-floppy was ALREADY in memory for the same
    > > /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/disc !
    >
    > Oh, sorry. Braino.
    >
    > > I can access the whole disk just fine. I just can not mount it: there was
    > > no partitions on disk when driver was loaded and rescan occured so there
    > > are no /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/part4 ... If I fire up
    > > fdisk /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/disc
    > > and type "w" then right thing happens: part4 created and I can access it.
    > > Or I can do
    > > mknod /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/part4 b 22 68
    > > and then mount my ZIP disk but both things looks ugly :-/
    >
    > Yeah, that's ugly.
    >
    > Let me get this straight: when no medium is inserted, the "disc" entry
    > exists? That's not what should happen.

    Ok. I just checked once more. No, if there are no medium is inserted
    "disc" entry is not created. Now I recovered the whole situation: I
    inserted ZIP drive without partition table => ide-floppy loaded, disc
    entry created. Then I tried to mount is as zip-win (i.e. not as whole disc
    but as part4) and failed. Then I replaced it with proper zip disc with
    partiton table and tried to access part4... Yes, most common problem is
    fixed in recent versions of devfs. This one does not :-(( Of course it's
    suble problem and so solution can wait :-)

    P.S. BTW why both disc and part4 are there when ide-floppy is unloaded ???
    Is it supposed to be this way ???

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.026 / U:59.796 seconds]