SubjectRe: Of removable devices
Khimenko Victor wrote:

[ snip ]

> DB> But you CAN ,as at least AmigaOS proves.
>
> Of course you can. You'll need "just" DEEP rework of VFS as was discussed in
> depth here. And still it's not a panacea: if you'll pull floppy EXACTLY when
> write/read process going you can just mechanically break floppy drive (just
> like plugging/unplugging SCSI or IDE device: probability is of the same order).

But it is "normal" to have data-loss/other-problems, if the floppy
is removed while the LED is on. "Everybody" knows that.
What is needed is to hadle the case "floppy removed while no LED ,
but still mounted".

> DB> If you didn't understand it at first, I'll repeat it :
> DB> IT CAN BE DONE !!!!!!
>
> I repeat as well: It should be done right or not at all.

The amiga way is/was right enough for me. It didn't repair HW damage,
but
did all the rest possible.

> >> P.S. BTW ZIP drive HAS needed knobs in place: when I press "Eject" button in
> >> Windows I get message ON SCREEN "You are trying to eject disk while it's in
> >> use. Ok, Cancel ?" (translation from Russian). If I press Ok disk is ejected,
> >> if press Cancel disk will not be ejected. So at least for ZIP drive you can
> >> implement proper supermount (with small change in kernel and autofs) --
> >> hardware supports it.
>
> DB> <teasing>
> DB> But who gets the dialog ? Which user ? And if nobody is logged in ?
> DB> </teasing>
>
> Why I need dialog ? In case of linux pressing of eject button can iniciate

Well somebody was pretty obsessed with dialogs in this thread , so
i used his text.

> umount process and then eject. If umount failed I'll not get my zip drive
> and will find and kill offending process.
>
> DB> I answered ( in short ) these questions in my other post.
> DB> Anyone using common-sense can answer them , so I will not repeat it
> DB> here.
>
> And you answer is bad. Here owner of /dev/fd0 is always "root,floppy".
> Root is VERY rarely loggin in. All trusted users are in "floppy" group.
> Now: who should get message about wrongly removed floppy ?

How about the user logged in on the console ?

> P.S. Do not answer: I know that right way is to say daemon somehow that
> "messages about /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/* should go to /dev/console
> while messages about /dev/scsi/host0/bus1/target7/lun0/* should go to
> blah.blah.blah:0.0" or something. That is: you need LOTS of changes in
> kernel AND you need ifrastructure in user-space. Is it reallyworth it ?
> God knows. So far I'm see hackish solutions which will punish user when
> user doing mistakes. Not a way to go IMNSHO. If someone REALLY want this
> behaviour he should sit and code prototype of all infrastructure. Complete
> with changes in kernel, daemon is userspace and so on.

I certainly agree with that ! ( the sit down and work stuff )

--
David Im-calm-now Balazic