SubjectRe: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux
On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 03:04:31PM +0000, jmcmullan@linuxcare.com wrote:

> Ya know, I've been finding it rather interesting that all the
> tech that IBM/DEC developed for their mainframe lines back in the
> 1960s/1970s is coming back to haunt us...
>
> IO Channel -> STP
>
> IBM 3270 -> HTML
> (page based
> interaction)
>
> Mainframe/Terminal -> Server/Thin Client
>
> Clustering -> Clustering ;^)

Kellog's Clusters ;-)

> I have this crazy feeling that the ``PC Revolution'' will be viewed
> in the grand scheme of things as the ``What the HECK were we thinking?''
> score. (You know, score=20 years, as in `four score and ten years ago')

I don't really agree with that. The wide deployment of computers was
largely driven by lowering prices. From that point of view the way that
the PC evolution just makes sense. Development just isn't as straight as
everbody would like it to be.

> And now that IBM has System 390s running Linux... ...shiver...
> Was that a ghost of a MVS programmer spinning in his grave?

Think about how you can combine some the best things of the mainframe world
with the best of other operating systems. And you will end up with something
that looks like Linux on a mainframe. IBM isn't just playing. I bet
they've got a plan in their pocket.

Ralf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.111 / U:0.580 seconds]