SubjectRe: [patch-2.3.46-p2] P6 microcode update support
Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Rogier Wolff wrote:
> > Nah. The user should use the intel/bios manufacturer tool to tell the
> > BIOS that there is a new microcode image. There is an API call to give
> > the BIOS a new microcode, which it will subsequently download to the
> > CPU on the next boot.
>
> I know about that one but it was so overly complicated in comparison to
> the straightfoward loading the image ourselves (without telling BIOS
> about it) that I implemented that instead. It is not wrong - some other
> OSes do something similar as well. Besides, I think one needed to be in
> real mode to do what you say (vaguely remember yesterday's reading of
> section 8.10)
>
> > Hey, the nasty thing is that we will continue to report the old mask
> > level, as the "what's this CPU" stuff is only done at boot time right?
>
> One could go and tweak that data after the update. But even if not
> (export restrictions (kernel->modules), it is still better to have a
> bugfree CPU reported as buggy than to have a buggy CPU reported as such?

Just out of curiosity, how much can you change with the microcode, in terms
of processor "behavior"? And what processors support it?
And what about the microcode, is there any information on how to "build your
own"
or are you limited to the ones prepackaged by intel?

Any URL where I can read more about it would do fine... It's not like I intend
to do anything with it but, it's the first time I hear about this feature and
I would like to know more.

Rui Sousa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.090 / U:0.124 seconds]