SubjectRe: Slow booting
Update:
adding the compact option does solve the problem

I guess the older machines floppy controllers did some caching on the
controller that is not done on some of the new machines and therefor
when the code makes all the seperate requests the older controllers are
able to deliver the data while the newer controllers have to do another
seek to get the data.

one interesting sidenote.
without using the compact option lilo shows "reading kernel
image........" with several dots appearing as time goes on and data is
read, with the compact option it only shows a single dot and that only
when it has read the entire kernel image.

David Lang