SubjectOracle data corruption: feed back
Hello,

A few months ago, I post the list about heavy Oracle databases corruption
and loss of data. Today, I just want to give you some feedback.

I specially want to thanks Allan Coax for his help and suggestions, as I
don't have anymore trouble, while running about 20 Linux/Oracle servers
at our customers.

I was running Oracle 8.0.5.0 on a 2.2.9 patched kernel (by the distro)
with a bug in rc.sysinit where '/sbin/update' was commented out :-(.

So, here is what I've done:

- I promptly uncommented '/sbin/update', which corrected the data losses
when servers were shutdown, but '/' couldn't be unmounted.

- As suggested Alan, I downloaded a *fresh* (unpatched) 2.2.13 kernel
and compiled it with plain gcc2.7.2, which became my standard kernel
on all servers. It solved various problems, such as unkillable wait I/O
processes which prevented to cleanly unmount filesystems.

- As suggested people from both the Oracle-Linux mailing list and Oracle
french support, I disabled the Oracle server asynchronous I/O, which seems
quite buggy (they told me it's not Linux specific, they had troubles with
other Unices too) and upgraded to 8.0.5.1.

Since then, all thoses servers (applicative, not web) run really smoothly.

Again, thank you to all of you, folks, I really appreciate your work and
your help

François

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.071 / U:0.440 seconds]