    SubjectRe: [2.2.14] Deadlock in ide-tape?
    On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Steve Dodd wrote:

    > On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 08:31:46PM +0200, Gadi Oxman wrote:
    > > The trace below shows that the driver is waiting in an ioctl() for
    > > a completion of a mt command.
    > Ah, I did grovel through the source and come to that conclusion as well (I
    > wasn't thinking very clearly yesterday <g>)
    > > Which command were you running? After how much time from the
    > > mt command was the panic triggered?
    > >
    > > If this was a retension command, for example, it can take up to 10
    > > minutes in some tape drives. If the default timeout in ikd is lower
    > > than that, it explains the panic.
    > It was an MTEOM command, and without the deadlock detection it just blocks for
    > ages (tens of minutes), with no tape drive activity; the problem seems to
    > manifest itself when it's executed right after an MTWEOF (which is a bit of a
    > silly thing to do, I know...). It's an HP Colorado 8Gb drive (i.e. 4Gb <g>) --
    > is it possible that it's a bug / feature in the drive firmware?
    > Apart from that, the driver seems to work great though..
    > Cheers,
    > Steve
    > --
    > Steve Dodd, Network Adminstrator, WotNot Ltd.

    Perhaps it's a feature. In any case, the driver should not die there
    no matter what. It does have a timeout, but it's currently set at two
    hours, which might be a bit too long...

    Try changing:

    #define IDETAPE_DSC_MA_TIMEOUT 2*60*60*HZ /* 2 hours */

    in drivers/block/ide-tape.c to 30 or 15 minutes, and check if the
    driver recovers from it in your case (it should recover, but it has
    been a long while since I last tested the timeout mechanism).

    I don't know what's the best value for this timeout; there are some
    tape drives which search for the end of media or filemarks linearly
    and aren't smart enough to optimize it. 2 hours is probably a bit
    too much, though.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.020 / U:40.964 seconds]