SubjectRe: Of removable devices
"Theodore Y. Ts'o" wrote:

> From: Francis GALIEGUE <francis@mandrakesoft.com>
> Date: 16 Feb 2000 12:57:17 +0100
>
> "Khimenko Victor" <khim@sch57.msk.ru> writes:
>
> First, sorry for yelling earlier. I'm conscious of problems with PC
> floppies. Calling block_fsync() regulary is not even a solution, I'm
> aware of this as well - too much overhead for not so much. But a
> newbie is not as stupid to eject a floppy when he sees the LED is on
> (well, at least I hope so :)
>
> Right. That was the basic design behind supermount, as I understand
> it. Users have been well programmed that if the LED light is off, it's
> safe to pop the disk out. Because Linux normally has different rules,
> this violates the principal of least surprise.
>
> So the question is whether it's possible to do something relatively
> painless which allows the right thing to happen under most
> circumstances.

I haven't been following this thread closely, nor do I know the floppy
low-level hardware, but I had a question (under the heading of "food for
thought"): Is it possible (for the floppy case) for Linux to keep the
LED on during the time it is unsafe to eject the disk? (LED is on while
mounted, turned off when unmounted?) If the hardware doesn't give you
that control, then obviously you can toss this suggestion. :)

Just rely on the user's programming. ;)

Eli
--
Eli Carter