SubjectRe: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux
Larry McVoy wrote:

> Imagine that cheapo IDIE drives could be bought soon with 100BaseT and
> not so soon with GigEth over copper connecters. They cost about $100
> more than your current IDE drives (which are essentially free :-)

Isn't this one of the places Sun are trying to target for Jini?

> Linux on the disk drive is not as far fetched as you might think ...

No, but If I need that I can wrap the drive in a box and add RAM, CPU,
net cards, ... in the same price range as the drives you call
"essentially free".

> OK, now image a nice little industry springing up around this. ...

Great. But why do we need an OS rather than just a protocol.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.056 / U:0.172 seconds]