SubjectRe: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux
: So for $100 dollars you get a CPU, a network interface, and enough memory to
: run Linux? Ok, that seems possible.
:
: But I don't see why you would want to build that into a disk drive. What do
: you do if a drive goes bad? It would make more sense to have a little cage
: running all this stuff that you could hot plug regular drives into. You could
: spend a little more money and build such a cage that holds a couple drives,
: then I think it would make perfect sense to run linux on the cage to give you
: cheap "mini" network servers. I would imagine such devices could sell for
: around $150-200 for 2-4 drive capacities. They could have a boot prom to
: netboot a kernel, and wouldn't really need much else.

Suppose I want to run STP down on the drive. Calculate out the cost to do
that in hardware and then tell me that I couldn't get there both quicker
and cheaper by putting Linux down there.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans