    SubjectRe: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux
    : So for $100 dollars you get a CPU, a network interface, and enough memory to
    : run Linux? Ok, that seems possible.
    : But I don't see why you would want to build that into a disk drive. What do
    : you do if a drive goes bad? It would make more sense to have a little cage
    : running all this stuff that you could hot plug regular drives into. You could
    : spend a little more money and build such a cage that holds a couple drives,
    : then I think it would make perfect sense to run linux on the cage to give you
    : cheap "mini" network servers. I would imagine such devices could sell for
    : around $150-200 for 2-4 drive capacities. They could have a boot prom to
    : netboot a kernel, and wouldn't really need much else.

    Suppose I want to run STP down on the drive. Calculate out the cost to do
    that in hardware and then tell me that I couldn't get there both quicker
    and cheaper by putting Linux down there.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:6.012 seconds]