SubjectCMI8338/8738 PCI sound chip - recording problem
Dear all,

I am awefully sorry that I have to drop in and interrupt you with
this question. It is simply so itching -- I've got to try IBM
ViaVoice under Linux and Chinese language dictation -- one of my
dream with Linux, but it simply can't record anything.

(I am a Chinese and ViaVoice could be ideal for me to write Chinese
Linux doc or living event reports.)

Yes, CMI8338/8738 chips ARE supported by cmpci.o in RedHat 6.1 or
later Mandrake distribution. I can happily playing MP3 in XMMS with it.
My problem is recording.

Motherboard:
PC100 (from a small Taiwan company maybe) integrated
with CMI8738 PCI and PCtel micromodem.
Platform:
RedHat 6.1
Config:
Automatically done by sndconfig. The audio sample sounds
awefully harsh, but XMMS and gmixer works fine (with the
playing back settings).
Problem:
Can't record anything from any sources. But mic input can be
heard in headphone, volumn/mute adjustment OK.

dd /dev/audio > sample.au and then
cat sample.au > /dev/dsp (the extact command I use is copied
from Sound-HOWTO, didn't remember extactly here, (I am in Windoz)).
produce nothing but quietness.
cat /dev/sndstat shows "no such device"
no /proc/sound file,

cat /proc/modules: (sorry can't remember the details
cmpci
sound_core

cat /proc/interrupts /proc/ioports, cmpci shows up there too.

What could be the problem ? I wrote an email to the author of
cmpci.c but got no responce. Should I have to reverse engine
Windoz driver and check cmpci.c line by line to find the reason ?
Could I debug a loadable kernel module without too much disturbing
of my normal use ?

Best regards,
Xiong Jiang

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans