    SubjectCMI8338/8738 PCI sound chip - recording problem
    Dear all,

    I am awefully sorry that I have to drop in and interrupt you with
    this question. It is simply so itching -- I've got to try IBM
    ViaVoice under Linux and Chinese language dictation -- one of my
    dream with Linux, but it simply can't record anything.

    (I am a Chinese and ViaVoice could be ideal for me to write Chinese
    Linux doc or living event reports.)

    Yes, CMI8338/8738 chips ARE supported by cmpci.o in RedHat 6.1 or
    later Mandrake distribution. I can happily playing MP3 in XMMS with it.
    My problem is recording.

    Motherboard:
    PC100 (from a small Taiwan company maybe) integrated
    with CMI8738 PCI and PCtel micromodem.
    Platform:
    RedHat 6.1
    Config:
    Automatically done by sndconfig. The audio sample sounds
    awefully harsh, but XMMS and gmixer works fine (with the
    playing back settings).
    Problem:
    Can't record anything from any sources. But mic input can be
    heard in headphone, volumn/mute adjustment OK.

    dd /dev/audio > sample.au and then
    cat sample.au > /dev/dsp (the extact command I use is copied
    from Sound-HOWTO, didn't remember extactly here, (I am in Windoz)).
    produce nothing but quietness.

    cat /dev/sndstat shows "no such device"
    no /proc/sound file,

    cat /proc/modules: (sorry can't remember the details
    cmpci
    sound_core

    cat /proc/interrupts /proc/ioports, cmpci shows up there too.

    What could be the problem ? I wrote an email to the author of
    cmpci.c but got no responce. Should I have to reverse engine
    Windoz driver and check cmpci.c line by line to find the reason ?
    Could I debug a loadable kernel module without too much disturbing
    of my normal use ?

    Best regards,
    Xiong Jiang

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.023 / U:120.896 seconds]