    SubjectCMI8338/8738 PCI sound chip - recording problem
    Dear all,

    I am awefully sorry that I have to drop in and interrupt you with
    this question. It is simply so itching -- I've got to try IBM
    ViaVoice under Linux and Chinese language dictation -- one of my
    dream with Linux, but it simply can't record anything.

    (I am a Chinese and ViaVoice could be ideal for me to write Chinese
    Linux doc or living event reports.)

    Yes, CMI8338/8738 chips ARE supported by cmpci.o in RedHat 6.1 or
    later Mandrake distribution. I can happily playing MP3 in XMMS with it.
    My problem is recording.

    PC100 (from a small Taiwan company maybe) integrated
    with CMI8738 PCI and PCtel micromodem.
    RedHat 6.1
    Automatically done by sndconfig. The audio sample sounds
    awefully harsh, but XMMS and gmixer works fine (with the
    playing back settings).
    Can't record anything from any sources. But mic input can be
    heard in headphone, volumn/mute adjustment OK.

    dd /dev/audio > and then
    cat > /dev/dsp (the extact command I use is copied
    from Sound-HOWTO, didn't remember extactly here, (I am in Windoz)).
    produce nothing but quietness.

    cat /dev/sndstat shows "no such device"
    no /proc/sound file,

    cat /proc/modules: (sorry can't remember the details

    cat /proc/interrupts /proc/ioports, cmpci shows up there too.

    What could be the problem ? I wrote an email to the author of
    cmpci.c but got no responce. Should I have to reverse engine
    Windoz driver and check cmpci.c line by line to find the reason ?
    Could I debug a loadable kernel module without too much disturbing
    of my normal use ?

    Best regards,
    Xiong Jiang

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:1.432 seconds]