    SubjectRe: Gigabit Linux Server Bottlenecks

    >> want > > scatter/gather skbuffs, something which I really want to
    >> look at > > (provided I can find the time). If you are doing the
    >> data copy anyway, > > there checksum is almost free.

    Bjorn> Is the idea that the skb data pointer instead will be a kiovec
    Bjorn> ? So that the kiovec can point to the locked down COW-marked
    Bjorn> pages in memory where the data came from, released when TCP
    Bjorn> finally acks it ?

    Something along those lines, and have the first element in the kiobuf
    be the data area containing the headers.

    Bjorn> But the tail and head of the skb, that will still be in
    Bjorn> skb-local memory right ?

    Most of that relates to where the headers are currently located, it's
    something we need to look closer at how to deal with when designing
    this.

    Bjorn> I'd love to see that work - we run linux on embedded HW and
    Bjorn> every less copying of data can be a pretty performance win. And
    Bjorn> our ethernet HW is already scatter-gather.

    Well, I should sure help on Gigabit Ethernet and HIPPI as well.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.039 / U:30.348 seconds]