SubjectRe: Capabilities

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 wrote:

> it though. One thing the capabilities people could help us with is by
> saying whether they are willing to restrict themselves to 32 capabilities
> for ever or whether they think they will need more (and if so, how many?
> Is there a realistic upper bound?).

In 2.3 I believe we are currently using 28/32.

We are just starting to see some real-world usage of capabilities, in the
form of restricting the capabilities certain daemons are running with. As
capabilities are used more, a few ommissions will be detected and I think
we will overrun 32 bits.

Since filesystem data structures are, shall we say, tricky to change after
the fact, PLEASE budget 64 bits. 64 bits should suffice relatively long
term. Do people concur?