    SubjectRe: Linux Status For 2.3.x: v 2.3.43
    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Truncate races (Debian apt shows it nicely)
    > I'm really curious what exactly this is?

    Here is a sample: I've no idea why apt happens to be the great trigger
    of this either.

    > I've noticed, when I'm running either plain vanilla 2.3.39 or 2.3.40, upgrading
    > a pile of debian packages thru apt (download via ftp, temporary spooling of
    > the .deb in /var/apt/cache, then bulk installation of each .deb), the
    > apt software stop on an error, due to a corruption of a freshly installed
    > package file list (a file containing the full path of each file installed by
    > a particular package).

    A well-known problem for me. I end up rebuilding the file list form the
    .deb
    dpkg never breaks more than one file at a time, as it stops when
    encountering
    the first broken one.

    I got the impression that "truncate" was broken with a race of some kind
    when the new pagecache went into 2.3.x (2.3.7?) dpkg doing a upgrade
    truncates and rewrites a list file for every package upgraded, which
    typically
    is a lot of files. And there are lots of other disk activity while this
    goes on.

    I have the impression that this is one of the things that will be fixed
    before
    a 2.4.0 release.

    > It may be apt or dpkg which are broken, but the thing is I've never had
    > such a corruption with 2.2.x, only 2.3.x

    They refused a bug report because of the experimental kernel. It does
    not
    happen with 2.2.x kernels. The choice is simple - run the latest and
    greatest
    with known bugs, or stable old 2.2.x

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.094 / U:89.684 seconds]