    SubjectRe: [2*PATCH] alpha I/O access and mb()
    Gérard Roudier wrote:
    > Based on that, let me claim that most of blind barriers inserted this way
    > are useless (thus sob-optimal) and may band-aid useful barriers that are
    > missing. The result is subtle bugs, hidden most of the time, that we will
    > have to suffer for decades.
    > The only way to do things right regarding ordering it to have device
    > drivers _aware_ of such issues. Now, if we are happy with broken portable
    > or platform-independant drivers that rely on broken hidden ordering
    > alchemy rather than on correctness, then it is another story.

    I see perfectly your point and this is the reason why we have
    __raw_write[bwlq] in 2.4, but write[bwlq] expected semantic is to ensure
    that write *happens* and are visible by other agents.

    You can tell me that almost nobody uses __raw_write now and this is bad
    and I agree with you, but sometime this is not a perfect world ;-)

    Abramo Bagnara

    Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023
    Via Emilia Interna, 140
    48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

    ALSA project is
    sponsored by SuSE Linux

    It sounds good!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.022 / U:7.184 seconds]