    SubjectRe: [Fwd: NTFS repair tools]
    "Jeff V. Merkey" <> writes:

    > On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 02:00:29PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > Agree. We need to disable it, since folks do not read the docs
    > > > (obviously). Of course, we could leave it on, and I could start
    > > > charging money for these tools -- there's little doubt it would be a
    > > > lucrative business. Perhaps this is what I'll do if the numbers of
    > > > copies keeps growing. When it hits > 100 per week, it's taking a lot of
    > > > our time to support, so I will have to start charging for it.
    > >
    > > I am very firmly against removing something because people do not read
    > manuals,
    > > what is next fdisk , mkfs ?.
    > We should put in a nastier message then. It WILL DESTROY DATA IRREPARABLY
    > and I've got even more bad news -- because it's in Linux, Microsoft is already
    > altering the on-disk structures again, so it's about to be broken in R/O
    > mode as well when Whistler comes out.

    Hmm. If this is the case then shouldn't someone point this out. To the
    antitrust lawyers. You present this as a clear case of deliberately
    preventing interoperability between NT and linux.

    The generous side of me suggests that they might be trying to fix some
    mistakes, or enhance things. Linux isn't standing still on the fs
    format issue either.