SubjectRe: [RFC-2] Configuring Synchronous Interfaces in Linux
> >                         struct hdlc_protocol
> > struct fr_protocol
> > struct eth_physical
>
> Not yet another one for eth... We now have ethtool for this. And a
> generic netdevice::set_config wrapper can be created that simply calls
> the ethtool ioctl with the proper info and locking.

There I disagree. I would do it the other way up. Post 2.4 you make the
ethtool ioctl simply build an eth_physical and run in that way. Right now
the ethtool stuff is a bit hackish and cannot handle upcoming real world
situations such as setting the cryptokey for onboard crypto on ethernet
cards, or handling devices that present themselves as ethernet but are not
at the physical layer being remotely honest about it.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:0.053 / U:0.604 seconds]