SubjectRe: Signal 11
On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 09:44:29AM +0900, Rainer Mager wrote:

> I've heard that signal 11 can be related to bad hardware, most
> often memory, but I've done a good bit of testing on this and the
> system seems ok. What I did was to run the VA Linux Cerberos(sp?)
> test for 15 hours+ with no errors. Actually this only worked when
> running from the console. When running from X the machine locked up
> (although no signal 11).

Don't be so quick to dismiss the "bad hardware" possibility. It is
really quite common these days. And, some cases of bad hardware are
not detected using simple tests like memtest86. (I'm not sure exactly
what cerberos does, do you have a link for it ?).

My recommandation would be to take a big source tree (say, a bit
bigger than the amount of RAM you have), and run repetitive
tar+detar+diff -ru runs on it for 48 hours or so. If your hardware
runs OK, diff should not report any inconsistencies. I found this test
to be quite reliable to detect hardware problems. If you have several
disk controllers, run one instance of the test on each of
them. Additionally you could run a background task to keep the CPU at
100% - a simple while 1 loop would do.

--
Michel "Walken" LESPINASSE
Of course I think I'm right. If I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind.