SubjectRe: [RFC-2] Configuring Synchronous Interfaces in Linux
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> Generic is not always good , thats why we have SIOCDEVPRIVATE. One thing Im
> pondering is if we should make the hardware config ioctl take a hardware type
> ident with each struct. That would help make all the ethernet agree, all the
> wan agree, all the ADSL agree without making a nasty mess.

What's wrong with returning -Exxx error code when the user requests
unsupported interface or function?

I think we should just #define possible values in standard include file
and make ifconfig/ip use it. We can add additional media types as
required.

2.5 task IMHO.

I think we need few ioctl calls: get + set media (int argument),
get + set speed (probably two - RX and TX), etc.
In my 2.4 HDLC stuff - to be published :-( - there something like that
(in private ioctl range, of course).
--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator