    SubjectRe: system hang and corrupt ext2 filesystem with test12-pre5

    I have not tested of checked the nature of the PCD20265 which is the
    onboard version.

    On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Skip Collins wrote:

    > After running 2.4.0-test11 for a while, my system would occasionally
    > hang during heavy disk activity resulting in a corrupt ext2 filesystem.
    > Fortunately, none of the damage has been irrecoverable. I checked
    > linux-kernel to see if anyone else was seeing the same thing. The recent
    > threads on corruption seemed to be consistent with the behavior I saw:
    > ide disk access light remains lit, system hangs, fsck finds bad inodes.
    > I think test12-pre5 was supposed to fix the problem. But after upgrading
    > my kernel, I can still get the errors.
    >
    > I have a 900MHz Athlon/Asus A7V mobo system with an onboard ata100
    > promise controller. I have only had problems when my ata100/udma5
    > harddrive is connected to the promise controller. Using the ATA66 ide
    > bus eliminates the problem. I typically see the corruption when copying
    > large (~1GB) files such as vmware virtual disks. It also happens
    > frequently inside vmware when doing heavy disk access things like
    > installing software or defragging a win2000 virtual disk.
    >
    > For now I am going to fall back to the slower ide bus. But I wanted to
    > let people know that there still may be problems with ext2 corruption in
    > the latest test kernel.
    >
    > sc
    > please cc any replies to me
    > -

    Andre Hedrick
    CTO Timpanogas Research Group
    EVP Linux Development, TRG
    Linux ATA Development

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:2.228 / U:0.344 seconds]