SubjectRe: test12-pre6
Date
Wakko Warner wrote:

> > - pre6:
> > - Andrew Morton: exec_usermodehelper fixes
>
> pre4 oopsed all over the place on my alpha with modules and autoloading
> turned on as soon as it mounted / and freed unused memory. I take it this
> was seen on i386 as well?

No... The problems showed themselves a little more subtly than that,
although in the pre5 version there was potential for schedule_task tasks to
be queued before the kernel thread which handles them was started.

This shouldn't normally be a problem, but it becomes a fatal problem if
someone tries to schedule a task and then synchronously waits
for it to complete, as the new exec_usermodehelper does.

This change didn't affect module loading per-se. But the
kernel does try to run /sbin/hotplug from deep within sys_insert_module
and sys_delete_module, so they're related.

> Will try pre6.

Please.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:0.124 / U:33.528 seconds]