SubjectRe: [RFC-2] Configuring Synchronous Interfaces in Linux
On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Ivan Passos wrote:

> Hello,

[snip details...]

> I'm willing to go for this implementation, but I wanted to know first:
> - whether ifconfig is the right place to do it;

I would like to note an objection to using ifconfig to carry all of this.
For example I do not use or even have ifconfig on any of my systems as I
only use/need/want Alexey's ip utility to perform all of those tasks.

I would rather have an independant utility that could set and check the
settings of all of these variables for whatever classes of networking
connections existed. This would provide a cleaner split between the
protocol configuration (IPv4, IPv6, IPX, ...) and the device (V.##,
10/100, 4/16/100, etc) parameters.

Such a split should make for a cleaner configuration structure WRT virtual
devices as well which for the most part deal with the protocol config and
do not need much device config.

FWIW: Alexey's ip has replaced both ifconfig and route on my systems.
Something that could now replace having several different card config
utils around with one binary would be fantastic.

> - where I should create the new ioctl's to handle these new parameters.
>
> Suggestions / comments are more than welcome.
>
> Later,
> Ivan

Thanks! I will volunteer to test/break/etc as my coding skills verge
beyond ludicrous.

Matthew G. Marsh, President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street