    SubjectRe: [RFC-2] Configuring Synchronous Interfaces in Linux
    Ivan Passos <lists@cyclades.com> écrit :
    [...]
    > Anyhow, the parameters we currently need to configure on our board (the
    > PC300) are as follows:
    >
    > - Media: V.35, RS-232, X.21, T1, E1

    drivers/net/wan/lmc/lmc_media.c:65
    char *lmc_t1_cables[] = {
    "V.10/RS423", "EIA530A", "reserved", "X.21", "V.35",
    "EIA449/EIA530/V.36", "V.28/EIA232", "none", NULL
    };
    (Where it's used btw).
    I don't exactly see the point here: do some of your cards supports these
    media at the same time ? I would have believed it to be set in stone.

    > - Protocol: Frame Relay, (Cisco)-HDLC, PPP, X.25 (not sure whether that is
    > already supported by the 'hw' option)

    + Transparent HDLC ?

    > - Clock: 'ext' (or 0, which implies external clock) or some numeric value
    > > 0 (which implies internal clock); setting it to 'int' would set
    > it to some fixed numeric value > 0 (useful for T1/E1 links, just
    > to indicate master clock as opposed to slave or 'ext' clock)

    Ok.

    [...]
    > - T1/E1 only:
    > - Line code:
    > - Frame mode:
    > - LBO (T1 only): line-build-out
    > - Rx Sensitivity: short-haul or long-haul
    > - Active channels: mask that represents the possible 24/32
    > channels (timeslots) on a T1/E1 line

    May I ask what kind of protocol support you have in mind here ?

    > I'm sure that _all_ the other sync cards need to configure the _same_
    > parameters (or a subset of them), and there may be cards that need even
    > more parameters (but we have to start somewhere ... ;). So having a
    > unified interface and making the drivers compliant to it is not that hard
    > and surely would help users to dump the currently ridiculous set of
    > individual config. tools for these cards (yes, we currently have our own
    > pc300cfg, along with the -- not absolute -- "standard" sethdlc utility).
    >
    > I'm willing to go for this implementation, but I wanted to know first:
    > - whether ifconfig is the right place to do it;

    We can pass (media/clock) through his "media" parameter but I won't claim it
    to be sexy. So far, I don't see how we may avoid some tool to do all the
    required ioctl.

    > - where I should create the new ioctl's to handle these new parameters.

    drivers/net/wan/sbni.[ch] uses the SIOCDEVPRIVATE range for different things.
    The x25 protocol uses the SIOCPROTOPRIVATE. I'd rather avoid both.

    --
    Ueimor