SubjectRe: IDE_TAPE problem wiht ONSTREAM DI30
Hi,

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 09:25:33AM +0100, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> Stay away from onstream is my advice nowadays.

I've been using the USB and the SCSI versions of OnStream tapes with
good success!

> We've been trying to get the stupid thing to work since july 8th, and
> onstream technical support has been very helpful by telling us what to
> do and such.

If you want a really helpful advice:
Use the osst driver and the use it with ide-scsi.
Report problems to the osst mailing list.
So far, I'm not aware of anybody we failed to help.
http://linux1.onstream.nl/test/

> Like downgrading to a kernel version that has known remote attacks.

Who did give such a stupid advice?

> However doing that does not solve the problems we
> report. After much ado, they promise to "escalate" the problem to
> people in the states, and then this does not lead to results in
> the month we've given them.

I'm afraid I do not know too much about the ide-tape support for DI-30.
Gadi Oxman is the author of it (has been paid by OnStream to write it, BTW),
but he may be short on time at the moment to help you with the problem.

> If you start using a backup program that needs to seek back and forth
> a few times, the drive loses track where it is, and doesn't recover
> from this situation.

I don't know whether this is a hard- or a software problem in your case.

> I've returned mine to my vendor, and I hope that Onstream gets the
> message in the end: They do NOT support Linux.

I have a completely different impression. Otherwise neither the DI-30 would
be supported by ide-tape, nor would there be the osst driver, supporting
SC-x0, DI-30 (over ide-scsi) and USB30 (usb-storage in 2.4 w/ Freecom
support).

Regards,
--
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:0.045 / U:0.520 seconds]