SubjectRe: [RFC] Configuring synchronous interfaces in Linux
On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Keith Owens wrote:
> If you go down this path, please add a standard performance monitoring
> method to query the current capacity of an interface.
> to report "eth0 is handling 1 Megabyte/second, but we cannot tell if
> that is 90% (10BaseT) or 9% (100BaseT) utilization". We should report
> capacity rather than speed because speed alone is not the controlling
> factor, other things like half or full duplex affect the capacity.

Well, ethtool interface supports reporting media selection as well as
[re]setting media setting. I dunno if we could report what capacity
an interface is handling without adding code to hot paths...

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:0.091 / U:1.724 seconds]