    SubjectRe: [RFC] changes to buffer.c (was Test12 ll_rw_block error)
    Chris Mason wrote:

    > On Thursday, December 28, 2000 11:29:01 AM -0800 Linus Torvalds
    > <torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:
    > [ skipping io on the first walk in page_launder ]
    > >
    > > There are some arguments for starting the writeout early, but there are
    > > tons of arguments against it too (the main one being "avoid doing IO if
    > > you can do so"), so your patch is probably fine. In the end, the
    > > performance characteristics are what matters. Does the patch make for
    > > smoother behaviour and better performance?
    >
    > My dbench speeds have always varied from run to run, but the average speed
    > went up about 9% with the anon space mapping patch and the page_launder
    > change. I could not find much difference in a pure test13-pre4, probably
    > because dbench doesn't generate much swap on my machine. I'll do more
    > tests when I get back on Monday night.
    >
    > Daniel, sounds like dbench varies less on your machine, what did the patch
    > do for you?
    >
    > BTW, the last anon space mapping patch I sent also works on test13-pre5.
    > The block_truncate_page fix does help my patch, since I have bdflush
    > locking pages ( thanks Marcelo )

    Yes it does, but the little additional patch you posted no longer
    applies. Your patch is suffering badly under pre5 here, reducing
    throughput from around 10 MB/sec to 5-6 MB/sec, and highly variable. If
    you're not seeing this you should probably try to get a few others to
    run it.

    --
    Daniel