    SubjectRe: [RFC] changes to buffer.c (was Test12 ll_rw_block error)

    On Thursday, December 28, 2000 11:29:01 AM -0800 Linus Torvalds
    <> wrote:
    [ skipping io on the first walk in page_launder ]
    > There are some arguments for starting the writeout early, but there are
    > tons of arguments against it too (the main one being "avoid doing IO if
    > you can do so"), so your patch is probably fine. In the end, the
    > performance characteristics are what matters. Does the patch make for
    > smoother behaviour and better performance?

    My dbench speeds have always varied from run to run, but the average speed
    went up about 9% with the anon space mapping patch and the page_launder
    change. I could not find much difference in a pure test13-pre4, probably
    because dbench doesn't generate much swap on my machine. I'll do more
    tests when I get back on Monday night.

    Daniel, sounds like dbench varies less on your machine, what did the patch
    do for you?

    BTW, the last anon space mapping patch I sent also works on test13-pre5.
    The block_truncate_page fix does help my patch, since I have bdflush
    locking pages ( thanks Marcelo )

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.020 / U:70.564 seconds]