    SubjectRe: innd mmap bug in 2.4.0-test12
    > > I use ramfs for /tmp on my laptop -- it's very handy because it
    > > extends the amount of the the disk had spent spun down and therefore
    > > battery life; but writing large files into /tmp can blow away the
    > > system or at the very least eat away at otherwise usable ram. Not
    > > terribly desirable.
    > Jeff Garzik had the code to do this, and the new shared memory code should
    > be able to be massaged to handle this all without actually bloating the
    > kernel (ie "ramfs" would still stay very very tiny, just taking advantage
    > of the common code that the VM layer already has to support for other
    > things).

    The ramfs maintainer has patches (in -ac) which deal with the size limiting
    of RAMfs. I'm using it on a PDA and its really really nice to be able to
    pop up a GUI app and drag the bar to '60% for apps' like other PDA systems ;)

    They do touch the core vm/vfs code for one callback, which would be nice to
    lose but not obvious it can be

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.020 / U:282.860 seconds]