    SubjectRe: cdrom changes in test13-pre2 slow down cdrom access by 70%
    Jens Axboe wrote:
    > In principle it looks ok, but after some time we are bound to fail 8
    > frame allocations anyway and this patch won't help. For the modular
    > case, preallocation of a bigger chunk at init time is no good either.
    > Builtin would be fine of course. This almost screams sg to me :-)

    Nonetheless, with your first patch and my patch, the system starts off
    using the old method of trying to allocate 8 frames buffer (which is
    essential for performance) and falls back to the current (as of
    test13-pre2) way in low/fragmented memory situations. To me, that's
    better than either the previous or the current method, with the slight
    increased cost of the failed kmalloc every time in the low/fragmented
    memory case. BTW, have you gotten reports of that kmalloc failing for
    people? I've been ripping audio with every kernel since pre4 and have
    never had a failure. Granted, I put 'workstation' loads on my machine,
    but I run some benchmarks from time-to-time, put memory pressure on
    etc. (H*ll, just netscape alone is memory pressure enough :-).

    I just don't want to have to patch every kernel I run from here to
    eternity. Call me selfish.

    David Mansfield (718) 963-2020
    Ultramaster Group, LLC

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.023 / U:0.660 seconds]