    SubjectRe: innd mmap bug in 2.4.0-test12

    On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

    > The (trivial) patch below should fix this problem.

    It must be wrong.

    If we have a dirty page on the LRU lists, that page _must_ have a mapping.

    What semantics would you say a non-mapped page has? What are the LRU
    routines supposed to do with such a page?

    The bug is somewhere else, and your patch is just papering it over. We
    should not have a page without a mapping on the LRU lists in the first
    place, except if the page has anonymous buffers (and such a page cannot
    legally be dirty as things are in the standard kernel - Chris Mason has
    been working on stuff that would make that a normal thing, but it would
    also make the page have a mapping).

    We'd better add a debug check that makes sure that we don't have
    non-mapped non-buffer pages on the LRU lists, and figure out how such a
    thing could happen.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.034 / U:96.128 seconds]