SubjectRe: PROBLEM: multiple mount of devices possible 2.4.0-test1 - 2.4.0-test13-pre4

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 rkreiner@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at wrote:

> 1. multiple mount of devices possible 2.4.0-test1 - 2.4.0-test13-pre4
>
> 2. its still possible to mount devices several times.
> IMHO it shouldnt be possible like 2.2.18

No.

The multi-mount thing is a _major_ feature, and the fact that your "mount"
binary seems to be confused by it is a user-level problem and nothing
more.

There are many absolutely vital reasons for multi-mounting, so it's
extremely useful. Think about:

- chroot environments, where you want to mount the same filesystem as
outside the chroot thing. Imagine having your /usr/share thing mounted
read-only, for example. Things like that.

- user-private areas - where users see their own version of their tree.
This can be quite powerful for things like emulation, or simply for
namespace cleanliness.

- automounting. "autofs" will use this to mount your local home directory
the _right_ way. So you'd have the same filesystem mounted as both

/export/home/machine/torvalds ("native" location)
/home/torvalds (auto-mount location)

automounting is also why you want to be able to do things like mounting
multiple different filesystems at the same point, etc.

Now, I agree that it is inconvenient that the user-space mount binary
hasn't historically known about these things, but I think the current
linux-util stuff already has a multi-mount aware mount that won't be
confused by the fact that the kernel can do more than it historically was
able to.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.108 / U:0.200 seconds]