SubjectRe: strange nfs behavior in 2.2.18 and 2.4.0-test12
On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Neil Brown wrote:

> On Thursday December 21, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Hi. I am having strange nfs problems in both my 2.x and 2.4.0-test12
> > kernels.
> >
> > What is happening is that when the machine boots up and exports the
> > directories for nfs, it complains that
> >
> > ccs2:/ invalid argument .
> >
> > The exports entry is
> >
> > / ccs2(rw,no_root_squash)
>
> Is there another export entry that exports another part of the same
> file system to the same client? If so, that is your problem.

Well I do want to export the mount points under the file system, for
instance I have a partition mounted as /usr and so I have an entry
such as
/usr ccs2(rw,no_root_squash)

in my exports list. Is there any other way to get this behaviour to
work?

> You cannot export two different directories on the same filesystem to
> the same client if one is an ancestor of the other (because exporting
> a directory is really exporting the directory and all descendants on
> that filesystem, and so exporting a directory and a subdirectory is
> effectively exporting the subdirectory twice with potentially
> different flags).
>
> NeilBrown
>

> > Now in Kernel 2.2.18, if I stop and restart the nfs daemons, all is
> > OK, the invalid argument goes away, but in 2.4.0 I cannot get this to
> > work at all and so I cannot mount nfs from a client on the ccs2 box.
> > I am using the utilities 0.2.1-4 from the Debian distribution if that
> > makes any difference. I did an strace once on exportfs and it was
> > having trouble with the call to nfsservctl which returns invalid argument.
> >

> > Any assistance would be appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > John Covici
> > covici@ccs.covici.com