    SubjectRe: [RFC] Semaphores used for daemon wakeup
    On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 01:06:10PM +0100, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > This patch illustrates an alternative approach to waking and waiting on
    > daemons using semaphores instead of direct operations on wait queues.
    > The idea of using semaphores to regulate the cycling of a daemon was
    > suggested to me by Arjan Vos. The basic idea is simple: on each cycle
    > a daemon down's a semaphore, and is reactivated when some other task
    > up's the semaphore.
    [...]
    > OK, there it is. Is this better, worse, or lateral?

    Well, I have to confess I'm rather fond of this method, but that could have
    something to do with it being how we did it in DYNIX/ptx (Sequent).
    It certainly works, and I find it very clear, but of course I'm biased :-)

    Tim

    --
    Tim Wright - timw@splhi.com or timw@aracnet.com or twright@us.ibm.com
    "Nobody ever said I was charming, they said "Rimmer, you're a git!"" RD VI