SubjectRe: [Korbit-cvs] Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

> > Of course. Which is why CORBA is about putting STRUCTURE in that stream
> > of random bytes coming over the wire. Why should I have to rewrite my
> > marshalling and demarshalling code every time I want to write a
> > server. read and write are fine. But sometimes I want a
> > structure. Sometimes, my structures aren't laid out like C struct's
> > either. What then? What if I want to send an "object" to you?
>
> Then I need to understand the object anyway. And Corba objects are horribly
> over complex. Any lisp hacker will tell you there is only one type: a list.

But alan, that's the beautiful thing. Given a CORBA object, you can
understand its structure without knowing exactly what the contents
are. You can effectively derive it's prototype just by inspecting it.

The only difference between lisp and a CORBA object in this respect is
that each item in the list is typed so that you have even more info about
what to do with it. :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.048 / U:4.128 seconds]